Homeowners in New Orleans have the option of doing the right thing for the environment by going to the forefront of smart, creative, and clean energy. They can enjoy the energy-saving benefit from a New Orleans residential solar panel system that will bring energy efficiency to their home.
In fact, the solar companies in New Orleans provide free solar evaluations to all homeowners interested in seeing if clean energy can save them money on their monthly utility bills. Even the city of New Orleans offers an energy initiative offering the financial and resiliency benefits of rooftop-solar to all New Orleanians.
If you’re a homeowner still deciding whether to switch to solar or not, here are some things you have to know about a New Orleans residential solar installation:
How a Solar Power System Works
The basic process of converting solar energy into electricity involves the following principles:
- Solar panels “catch” solar energy or sunlight.
- Solar energy is converted into DC (direct current) power using what is known as the photovoltaic (PV) effect.
- The DC power can then be stored in a battery or converted by a solar inverter into AC (alternating current) power
- The AC power is used to run home appliances or equipment that needs electricity including solar-powered cars.
- If there is excess solar energy after the needed energy for the home is supplied, it can be fed into the electricity grid for credits or stored in a battery storage system.
Main Components of a Solar System
There are different types of solar panels or solar modules available in New Orleans from different manufacturers. Each panel can generate energy during cloudy and overcast weather although the amount of energy produced depends on the ‘thickness’ and height of the clouds.
Most modern solar panels are made up of many photovoltaic cells that are silicon-based. They generate direct current electricity from irradiance that produces electricity you can use for your home. The factors that determine the amount of solar energy generated by your panels include:
- Tilt angle
- Losses due to shading, dirt, and ambient temperature
The DC electricity generated from your solar panels is converted to AC electricity by a solar inverter. The two types of inverters that you may encounter are:
- The microinverter system available today in the market has its own micro-inverter attached to the rear side of its panel that converts DC to AC electricity on the roof and fed straight to the electrical switchboard.
- More advanced string inverter systems that have small power optimizers attached to the back of each solar panel. The optimizers are used to monitor and control each panel individually. With this feature, you can be assured that every panel is operating at maximum efficiency under all conditions.
There are two main types of solar energy storage batteries that you can use with a New Orleans residential solar energy system. These are:
- Lead-acid (AGM and Gel) battery commonly used for solar off-grid and hybrid energy storage. They are available in different sizes and in four main types.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that are most common in modern energy storage systems, available in many shapes and sizes and can be configured in several ways
A solar power system for the home also has an electricity switchboard that receives AC electricity from the solar inverter before being distributed to various circuits and appliances inside your home.
Types of Solar Power System
- On-Grid system
Most homes use this system for their residential solar power where batteries are not needed because they are connected to the grid. However, they can be added at a later stage if your required energy consumption increases.
- Off-Grid system
This residential solar system is not connected to the grid, hence, it requires battery storage. They are designed to be able to produce electricity throughout the year through a battery that has enough capacity to meet your energy requirements at home.
- Hybrid system
Modern hybrid systems use both solar and battery storage making it possible to store solar energy during the day that you can use at night. You can enjoy both electricity from your solar panel system and from the grid whenever your stored solar energy is depleted.
Make the Great Switch to Clean Energy
Join thousands of residents enjoying the New Orleans residential solar energy system because they have made the change to clean inexhaustible, and efficient solar energy. Make the great switch to solar now! It can be one of your greatest and smartest investments yet.